Friday 4 May 2012

Roasted Vegetable Tart.



Amongst the final weeks of my degree I am really struggling to find time to cook, well more accurately, the time to go to the supermarket. After 2 weeks (don’t ask, I have no idea how I survived) I FINALLY went and turned to a family favorite for my evening meal along with a LARGE glass of wine.

I like to think that this dish has a lot of the satisfaction factor of a pizza, but is crunchier, quicker to make from scratch and somehow fools you into thinking it's healthier. In truth, I’m not sure it actually is given the butter laden pasty but I tend to choose to just not think about that. What ever it is, it's yummy.

Its also hugely flexible, the ‘sauce’ you use on the base could be anything from cream cheese, to tomato puree, to ricotta, to pesto and the topping can comprise of anything really - veg, meat, cheese, the options are endless.

I made individual tarts because I think they’re cuter, however the recipe below is for one big one for convenience factor.
  
Serves 4 (if very hungry)

2 tbsp Olive oli
1 sheet pre-rolled puff pastry.
½ tub cream cheese or ricotta
2 tbsp pesto
2 large sweet potatos, peeled and cubed
2 courgettes, cubed
handful asparagus spears, chopped
2 onions, wedged
2 cloves of garlic, whole
1 large aubergine, cubed
Freshly grated parmesan

Firstly get your veg on. Throw it all in a roasting tin with some olive oil and seasoning, roast until soft and you can easily push a knife through the potato.

While this happens get your pastry ready, score the pastry about 2 cm in from the edge to outline the edge of your filled section. Spread the cream cheese and then the pesto on top inside of these lines, leaving the 2cm boarder clear.

When the veg is ready pile it on top of the cream cheese and pesto then top with the parmesan.


Bake the tart until the edges of the pastry rises and turns golden. 


1 comment:

  1. Mmm.. thanks for this recipe. It will be great for tomorrow lunch time! Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete