Sunday 18 March 2012

Mother's Day Chocolate Fondants.



I’ll freely confess I am not much of a pudding person but give me a chocolate fondant and there is literally no stopping me.

The outside, with a crunch of sugar, then the soft sponge and the silky oozy middle, so intensely rich but still more-ish at the same time, served with some berries and cool cream, or even better ice-cream, so you get the hot/cold contrast and it all just melts together on your tongue ….. Ok. I’ll stop now. You get the idea. Chocolate fondants are MEGA yum.

I made these for mother’s day, my little sister suggested the menu, a prawn, pea and herb risotto (apparently one of mum’s favorites) followed by chocolate fondants with ice cream (again apparently one of mum’s favorites). I’m still suspicious that she just asked me to cook what she wanted to eat rather than it having anything to do with mother’s day, but mum loved it none the less.

Makes 4

100g 70% cocoa solids, dark chocolate
100g unsalted butter, plus more for lining the ramekins
55g plain flour
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
55g caster sugar

Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees

Firstly, sort out your ramekins, brush their insides liberally with melted butter, stick them in the fridge and after that sets, brush them with another layer of melted butter and dust the inside with sugar, tapping out any extra, refrigerate.

Next melt the butter and sugar over a ban marie.

While that melts, whisk the sugar and eggs with an electric mixture until it reaches ribbon stage (basically until it thickens and holds its shape slightly) then sieve in the flour.

Fold in the chocolate mixture and pour into your moulds:



























Bake for 8 - 10minutes until set enough to hold their shape but still runny in the middle.


Turn out onto plates and serve with ice cream and strawberries.

YUMYUM:



























Aaand, OHHH HIIYAAA:

8 comments:

  1. Perfectly done! These are a family favorite...and I must try your recipe :) What a nice treat for your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yumness, i feel bad now, i´m away for mothers day but maybe I´ll give these a try when i come back.... x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delish...am sure your mom was really happy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a treat for your mum! It looks excellent. Well done! I am a happy follower now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have one lucky Mum!!! How nice of you sweet girls to cook such a great dinner for her of her (your sisters') favorite things. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gabi, these are perfect. Your mother must have been thrilled. They look wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look fantastic!! I myself am not a pudding person either. It's just blah to me! This on the other hand is something I would totally sink my teeth in to!

    ReplyDelete